An ever-increasing amount of people are looking for a quick solution to their weight-related problems. This is because the idea of taking a magic pill that would solve these problems without any extra effort on their part does seem to be appealing. However, many of these pills contain substances not approved by the FDA, and taking them could introduce several health risks and undesired side-effects.
To get a better grasp of the whole picture and the dangerous side-effects these kinds of pills can have on your body, here is a brief overview of some diet pills that were explicitly banned by the FDA:
- Ephedrine. This is actually a very effective weight loss tool, but the problem doesn’t lie in its effectiveness. The issue with it is that it makes you more prone to sustaining a heart attack. This is because Ephedrine tends to elevate your blood pressure to abnormal levels, which is especially dangerous for those who were diagnosed with a heart condition before.
- Meridia. This drug suppresses your appetite and makes you eat less food, which eventually leads to losing weight. However, the side-effects are particularly problematic with this one. This is because taking it can lead to developing arrhythmia and shortness of breath. Heart attacks and seizures have also been linked to this drug.
- Rimonabant. This drug was also sold under the name of Acomplia. It can drastically raise your anxiety levels, as well as making you more depressed, which introduces the risk of committing suicide. It also affects your psyche in other ways, such as causing sleep disorders and mood swings.
- Dinitrophenol. No-one doubts its effectiveness, but the problem is that the drug introduces a whole range of other side-effects, such as excessive sweating, food cravings, sleep disorders, and allergies. As if all this weren’t enough, it can also cause cancer.
- Sibutramine. This drug wreaks havoc on your cardiovascular as well as the nervous system. Seizures, nausea, hypertension, and palpitations are not uncommon when taking this drug. You need to be especially careful with this one, because it’s still being sold under the name of Kangmei, which the authorities still haven’t removed from the market.
- Star Caps. Commonly advertised as a natural weight loss pill, but fails to show the needed transparency when it comes to its ingredients. This is actually a form of steroids, and the advertising campaigns go to great lengths trying to divert the attention away from that fact.
- Fen-Phen. This diet pill acts on your food cravings, creating the illusion within your body that it doesn’t need more food, thus making you eat less. It also fires up your metabolism, making you burn fat at a significantly faster pace. However, it can cause heart disease, excessive blood pressure, liver damage and anxiety, which makes the risks not outweigh the benefits.
- Herbal Xenicol. Advertised as a natural weight loss solution, but in reality, it’s anything but. It contains fillers that lead to weight loss fast, but endanger your health in the process. Common side-effects are sleep disorders, excessive pain and bloating in the abdominal area, and that’s the reason behind why FDA has decided to ban it.
- Thirty Plus. It contains sibutramine, and can significantly raise your blood pressure levels, which is particularly troublesome if a diagnosed heart patient were to take it. It could very well lead to the onset of strokes, heart failure, and arrhythmia. This diet pill also has some dangerous interactions with other drugs, so FDA has decided to remove it from the market.
- Jenesis. This popular weight loss pill sold online turned out to contain sibutramine. As we know, this can cause heart-related problems, high blood pressure, arrhythmias and seizures. To make matters worse, Jenesis also includes Phenolphthalein, which is prohibited in the US, because taking it has been linked to the onset of cancer.
Are there any safe alternatives?
As alarming as all of those things we mentioned might sound, there are actually some weight loss pills that help you lose weight without endangering your health in any way. A great example would be PhenQ (found ONLY on their official website), a weight loss pill that’s been popular for a couple of years now. Let’s take a brief look at what it does:
- Burns fat in your body
- Controls your appetite
- Makes you more energised
- Increases your muscle mass
- Prevents additional fat from being stored in your body
Its manufacturers are confident enough that they are willing to back their claims with a 60-day money-back guarantee, which is something that not a lot of them are willing to do. If you’d like to to know more about the product, come check out our detailed review!
Although there are many false claims made by several manufacturers who are trying to make a quick buck, you can do a great deal to protect yourself from them if you take the additional time to gather the necessary information. This will help you preserve your good health now and in the future.